Giving His Time and Talent: Chuck Winkle Makes a Difference On and Off the Maritz Campus
May 31, 2017
Great places to work start with amazing people. As we wrap up a successful week of celebrating Earth Week on the Maritz Fenton campus, we shine a spotlight on Chuck Winkle, director of facilities and proud member of the Maritz Green Team.
For more than 40 years, Chuck has been instrumental in helping Maritz build a beautiful and sustainable headquarters location. He has been an invaluable employee and friend, doing not only what is asked of him, but going above and beyond in giving his time and talents to initiatives that he is passionate about. Which is why when approached about joining The Green Team, an employee-led, grass-roots effort to promote sustainability, it was a no-brainer for Chuck.
“The reason I joined the Green Team was because of the passion Maritz people have for our planet and its resources,” said Chuck. “As a team and company, we are assisting in reducing waste and increasing recycling, improving the grounds by reducing water usage and planting more native plants, communicating and educating our employee and tenants, and being a good role model for the community. I am proud that in my role, I can help make an impact.”
In partnership with the Green Team, Chuck plays an integral part in the execution of many notable sustainability initiatives across Maritz, including:
- Installing electric charging stations to be used free of charge on campus to encourage the purchase of green vehicles
- On the north campus, installing the Storm Tech system, which is MSD-approved to slowly filter and dispense storm water.
- On the south campus, installing bio swale retention basins to collect the water. The basins will contain MSD-approved native plants to maximize the “green” on our campus.
- Repositioning our mini-recycling centers on campus to bring even easier recycling of non-office type items closer to our employees
- Hosting Electronic Recycling Events for Maritz and the Fenton community twice a year
- Preparing for and participating in the “St. Louis Green Business Challenge Water Summit: Hydrodynamics” event in conjunction with the St. Louis Green Business Challenge, held on our Fenton campus with an introduction to our wetlands area
And his commitments to Maritz don’t stop there!
Since starting at Maritz, Chuck has volunteered with many of Maritz’ philanthropic partners, including College Bound, Matthews-Dickey and Patrick Henry Downtown Academy, helping students survive and thrive during their educational experiences. He also represents Maritz as a member of the Fenton Chamber of Commerce. His commitment to making an impact in the community afforded him the honor of being named the Fenton Board Member of the Year in 2016!
“Chuck is always going above and beyond the call of duty to help wherever needed,” said Debbie Schirmer, community affairs director at Maritz. “He gives 110% in everything that he is involved in and we are so lucky to have him on the Maritz team!”
Thank you, Chuck, for all you do to make Maritz a great place to work!